Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Who Invented Nail Polish?

I admit that I have been in some kind of unenthusiastic mood about basically everything. I'm not getting my housework done like I should and my kids are watching more TV lately than they should. but yesterday I had decided enough was enough and I needed to get into gear no matter what. So I asked Sadie what fun thing she wanted to do that day and she named a few things along with painting her nails. I agreed to them and didn't quite clarify that would happen later, so Sadie got the nail polish out of the closet and set it on the table unknown to me. A little bit later I was in my bathroom listening to the kids playing in their bedroom and so I wasn't in any hurry to go check on them. Maybe six minutes later, I decided to go see what was going on and found Sadie in the room but no Lexi. I looked in the other rooms and didn't find her so I proceeded out to the kitchen to find my charming daughter on TOP of my beautiful wooden table with an EMPTY bottle of fingernail polish around her on the table and everywhere else. I was so shocked I just froze. Eventually I got Lexi down and noticing the polish had dried on my table I forgot about the table for the time being and concentrated on cleaning my daughter who had somehow gotten fingernail polish on her hair, tummy, legs, hands, elbows and feet. I put her in the tub and because the polish was so thick in layers on her, it peeled off alright and the rest I had to scrub off her as she was screaming at me to stop. My table, now that was another story. I tried every cleaner in my house that was safe to try on it and nothing was working. finally I tried my Sol-U-Mel (from Melaleuca) and scrubbing with a Dobie pad I got some of it off. I will have to continue scrubbing for the next month, but I think eventually it will in fact come off (I hope). If anyone has any secrets to getting fingernail polish out of clothes or off a wooden table, I am all ears! After cleaning and scrubbing and a few tears as well, my youngest daughter came to me and lifted her foot off the ground showing me the polish that had stayed on her toenails and said "Pretty pretty mommy". How do you resist an innocent comment like that?



Below: This is the table after I have about one-third of the polish scrubbed off. . . . . .

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh, Jess that is terrible. Oakley spilled polish remover on my new wood cabinets in the bathroom and it took off the varnish coat and so I am going to have to sand and restain them.:( It looks like you might be doing some of the same. So sorry!!

Heather said...

Oh my! Luckily that has happened at my house yet. (knock on wood) If I come across any tricks to getting it off I'll let you know. I'm glad to know she at least got some on her toe nails ;-) Good Luck!

Chris Lott Family said...

Sorry to hear about your table. You remember my stool at my bar, right? We had our nail polish incident our first month in our new house. We still have that pretty stool with burgandy nail polish on it. Everytime I move it to sweep, I think of my girls... They sure can get into a lot of trouble, but I wouldn't trade them.

Holly said...

Oh no! I've seen a few scenes like this at my house before! lol. ;) Congratulations on another girl! SO exciting!! Girls are so much fun! Even if they do love nail polish! :)